Rand, Northern Star to suspend Raleigh operations

Rand Mining plans to put the Raleigh underground mine in Kalgoorlie, Western Australia on care and maintenance this April as the southern mining area has been deemed unsafe.

This follows a significant seismic response caused by the firing of stoping panels in January.

The seismic response occurred around the 6000 to 5949 mine levels, each suffering substantial damage that will require significant repair to re-establish access to the mine.

Rand Mining, which is owned by Northern Star Resources has confirmed that no workers were underground at the time of the firing.

Northern Star holds a 51 per cent stake in the East Kundana joint venture (EKJV) where the Raleigh mine is located, while Rand and Tribune Resources hold the remaining 49 per cent.

Following a review by an independent mining consultant, the mine was decided to be too dangerous to remain open.

“It is anticipated that Raleigh will be placed on care and maintenance from April 2020 to allow time for EKJV management to conduct a detailed assessment of the potential to recommence mining,” Rand Mining stated in an ASX announcement.

“The life of mine plan previously presented to the company in October 2019 saw Raleigh production continuing to 2026 to exploit the ore reserves reported by Northern Star in August 2019.

“Underground mining at other deposits within the EKJV remains unaffected and is continuing as planned.”

Leave a Reply

Send this to a friend