/* Style Definitions */
mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
font-family:”Times New Roman”;
Unionised workers at BHP Billiton operated BMA coal mines in Queensland have rejected the company’s new employment offer.
The latest offer included a 5 per cent year-on-year pay rise for three years, a $15,000 bonus and other benefits.
But unions are still opposed to the deal, and are in part looking for an arrangement with less working hours.
The Australian reported that BHPB spokesperson Fiona Martin had confirmed the latest rejection.
“The agreement was voted down, in line with the history of first votes,” she said.
Last month the CFMEU announced plans to launch an ad campaign against BMA.
It said the campaign was necessary to ensure workers and the public had the correct information on the work packages that had been offered.
Shortly after BHP Billion threatened to take legal action against the union over the campaign.
BMA president Stephen Dumble also accused the union of “scaremongering” its members.
BMA angered the unions with the latest deal when it sidestepped them to offer the work agreements directly to employees.
The company said it had made the unusual move because of the impasse in union negotiations.
In August BHPB chief executive officer Marius Kloppers said the strikes had made a “modest impact” on production.
BHPB is set to announce its third quarter production results next week on October 19, and analysts have backed Kloppers, tipping the commercial impact of the strikes to be relatively low.