We won’t back down from BMA fight: Union

The Construction, Forestry, Mining, and Energy Union says it won't back down from its dispute with BMA and hasn't spoken to the company since fresh strikes started last week.

ABC News reports CFMEU district president Stephen Smyth said since workers downed tools there hadn't been further negotiations with BMA.

"No-one at all from the company met with us last Tuesday and that is the last dialogue we had," he said.

"We will be considering whether or not we take them up on an offer to meet the following week, but at this stage it is disappointing but the ball is in BHP's court."

Last week BMA's proposed enterprise agreement was again voted down by workers, which spurred further industrial action.

BHP Billiton recently hit out over the stalemate, and said the conflict was hurting the industry at a time it should be growing.

The Queensland Government has also joined the company in expressing concern over the dispute, and said the strikes had resulted in $50 million of lost mining royalties.

Image: The Daily Mercury

To keep up to date with Australian Mining, subscribe to our free email newsletters delivered straight to your inbox. Click here.