A 34-year-old man has gone missing while working underground at Glencore’s Mt Isa Mines.
The worker was last seen at the mine’s copper operations almost 24-hours ago at around 11:30 am on Wednesday.
A search for the man is underway with production at Mount Isa Mines (MIM) halted.
A Glencore spokesperson said emergency procedures had been activated and MIM was working with police to locate the man.
It is not clear what the man’s job role was or what section of the mine he was working in before he disappeared.
Police Inspector Trevor Kidd said MIM was leading the search for the worker, ABC reported.
"The mines have their own procedures and the real difficulty is that it is a mine site so there is restricted access and it is a specialist area," Kidd said.
"Our role at this stage is very much a liaison role to look for someone that is missing."
In a separate incident, a fire broke out at the site’s lead smelter overnight but no one was injured.