Mining is a big business, and understandably there are a lot of different views and comments.
So sifting through it all to find expert opinion is time consuming and fairly difficult.
Luckily, Mining IQ has managed to find some of the must read blogs in the mining space, a few you may recognise from Australian Mining.
Top Rated Industry Blogs
1. http://ithinkmining.com/ In his own words this is a ‘sharp blog about mines and mining’ from Jack Caldwell, a formerly retired civil engineer in California whose career focused on designing tailings dams for mines in North America. In this insightful, frank and varied blog he shares news about the mining industry, as well commentary on the politics of mining and major industry events. Always refreshing, often challenging and never dull.
2. www.miningman.com/ Jamie Ross, a mining engineer from Australia, has a passion for helping leaders in the mining industry master the essential skills they need to create and manage effective teams, and get the best out of the people around them. This easy to navigate blog and website has over 100 wonderful blogs and titbits to help you to lead from the front. With over a 1000 visitors a week on average – this is a useful and practical resource.
3. http://theaccretionarywedge.wordpress.com/ If you are just delving into the geo-blog sphere for the first time, this is a solid place to start. The Accretionary Wedge is a geoscience blog that embraces a myriad of opinions with the content hosted by a different blogger each month. The theme of that blog is determined by the host. This blog provides a wide-ranging perspective and is as engaging as it is varied.
4. www.raremetalblog.com/ Robin Bromby, who is based in Sydney, has been writing about mining and commodities since the 1980s – and this involved covering the subject of rare earths in Australia in the 1990s, long before the general media recognized the importance of this story. This blog really is the number 1 hotspot for everything rare earths related. It lauds itself as the number 1 industry resource – and that’s no word of a lie. There is no much fantastic information and knowledge shared on this site that it’s hard to know where to begin. Incredibly valuable and an undeniable value-add to the industry.
5. www.miningmaven.com/k2/news/blog/ Mining Maven is a different take on your average mining blog – and we enjoy its fresh approach and the perspective from the other side of the fence. It’s a network of investors on the lookout for value propositions and who prefer a no nonsense approach to investing in the natural resource sector. In their own words, there is no doubt that the resource sector is where the action is right now. And so, this blog seeks to enlighten and engage the private investor in resource sector opportunities without weighing them down in any of the heavy technical jargon. Their content is straight talking and accessible and hits you right between the eyes. For a thoroughly refreshing take on the resource sector – we suggest you take yourself straight to Mining maven.
6. www.theresourcechannel.com.au Jody Elliot and Lisa Costa constantly delight us with their straight talking, regularly updated blog specific to mining recruitment and talent. The Blog enables Australian resource sector employers to communicate information about jobs, projects, sites, awarded contracts, terms and conditions, career tips and advice, and on a range of other topics that can’t always be shared on traditional career websites and print advertising. Seeking work in the resource sector? This is the blog for you.
7. http://thebusinessofmining.com/ The business of mining by Wilfred Visser is straight talking and offers a personal insight into the mining industry. That is exactly what The Business of Mining is trying to do. Its aim is to connect the dots and explain the drivers and implications of the news from both a qualitative and quantitative perspective. The business of mining wants to dig deeper and to complement existing mining news and industry sites by adding another layer of knowledge and perspective to existing freely accessible mining industry information.
8. www.republicofmining.com/ This blog aims to build awareness among the media, the general public and political decision makers about the economic and social benefits of sustainable mining practices in the 21st Century. It has a really admirable mission statement and it rings true with the content on the site. We especially like the variety of categories available on the site with commentary from aboriginal mining to mining education and from women in mining through to green mining. Stan Sudol has hit the nail on the hit with his enlightened approach.
9. http://chinaminingblog.com/ The China Mining Blog is a blog focused on the Chinese mining industry. It’s a very targeted and niche blog offering insights into current mining activity in the China region – however, regardless, the Mining IQ team find this a really useful resource to keep abreast of changes without having to trawl through reams of websites to find the same result.
Finally, for something a little different, it is also worth going to the blog MiningMayhem, which collects mining incident photos and mining accident photos. It aims to be the definitive resource for photos of this type.
This content was first published on Mining IQ and is reproduced with permission. www.miningiq.com