A synthetic sports stimulant previously used by miners to stay awake has been banned after a WA coroner ruled it caused the death of a fly-in fly-out worker last year.
The Therapeutic Goods Administration ruled the substance, known as dimethylamylamine (DMAA), caused a brain haemorrhage in the mining worker after he mixed it with beer.
According to The West Australian the worker bought DMAA from overseas online while working at the Hope Downs mine, and the powder was taken recreationally during a week off.
The West Australian reports 20 to 30 minutes after taking the powder the worker was sweating profusely, vomiting, and complaining of a migraine.
Whilst being advised to go to hospital by the poisons helpline the worker refused and was later found dead on his back patio.
At the start of the year the body-building supplement Jack3d, which contains DMAA, was banned in the Queensland mining industry following reports workers were using it to stay awake.
The Therapeutic Goods Administration previously announced an interim prohibition of the substance, a move supported by the Queensland Resources Council.
On its website Jack3d claims its DMAA bodybuilding supplement is safe and has "minimal known side effects".