Santos sub-contractor dies of suspected heatstroke

A Santos subcontractor has died from a suspected heatstroke while onsite outside of Roma on Sunday.

Emergency services were called to treat the man at the site at Mooga at around 8pm, the Chronicle reported.

He suffered a heart attack on the way to hospital and could not be revived.

Employed by construction company Fluor Australia, the 38-year-old had been working on the Santos GLNG upstream project for the past five months.

Yesterday Fluor stood down the project's workforce and extended its condolences to the man’s family.

However, reports have emerged that Fluor has refused requests from workers to discuss their issues yesterday.

Sunday’s tragic events has sparked concern from the Electrical Trades Union who is worried that heat stress will cause more deaths to occur on Queensland’s upstream GLNG projects, the Chronicle reported.

The unions’ state assistant secretary Peter Ong said Fluor’s actions following the death of their employee were a disgraceful disregard for the wellbeing of their workers.

"We have been working in good faith with Fluor to develop ways to alleviate the concerns of our members about heat stress – many of whom have been working in 40-degree plus temperatures since late December," he said.

"Our request was pretty simple, we said to Fluor, they as the major contractor with numerous companies working on projects where workers have been exposed to temperatures up to 49 degrees should sit down with our members and explain the situation, understand that workers had concerns and act in good faith to alleviate their concerns.

"Just yesterday evening the company gave a commitment to hold meetings this morning, however this morning they flatly refused, pushing aside workers' concerns and telling them to get back to work.

"This ruthless disregard for the wellbeing of their workforce raises serious concerns about their commitment to health and safety and their duty of care to a workforce that is routinely exposed to dangerous temperatures," Ong said.

The union has called on Fluor to “do the right thing sit down with their workforce and listen to the issues and act in the best interests of their workers who don't have the luxury of sitting in air-conditioned offices or crib rooms when the temperatures rise".

The investigation into the cause of the incident continues.

To keep up to date with Australian Mining, subscribe to our free email newsletters delivered straight to your inbox. Click here.