Five people have died underground in a pyrite mine in central China’s Hunan Province on Monday after inhaling poisonous gas.
The incident happened after a deputy mine manager and two workers went into a mine shaft to check the ventilation facilities, Xinhuanet News reports.
According to the county’s publicity department statement, one of the three was able to get away after experiencing discomfort from the choking odour underground.
The other two died. Three rescuers who went down to rescue them also died.
The pyrite mine, run by Yiyang Shengyuan Mining Co Ltd in Taojiang County, was shut down in March for remediation and was allowed to reopen this month.
But the mine was still not running as it required licenses from work safety, police and fire fighting authorities.