Palmer sources Chinese miners for QLD

Clive Palmer will bring in hundreds of Chinese miners to work on his Queensland coal mine.

Palmer yesterday announced that up to 10% of the workforce for his coal development in Queensland’s Galilee Basin will be sourced from China, The Australian has reported.

This new fly in fly out force could be potentially as high as 600 in number, the majority engineers.

Development of the mine, as well as access to rail lines and ports is being carried out by Palmer and his joint venture partners – Metallurgical Corporation of China (MCC).

According to The Australian, Palmer said MCC will be the main contractor for the project.

Three of MCC’s government owned subsidiaries will take charge of the development of the mine, railway and port facilities, with each sub-contracting to Australian firms.

Palmer expects approximately 60% of the work to go to foreign companies with the remaining 40% to Australian firms.

MCC is also working with Palmer on his multi-billion dollar Sino Iron ore project in Western Australia.
"In Western Australia, in our projects there, we’ve had something like 10 per cent who are Chinese people on site," he said.

He compared the ongoing work in WA with the future development in Queensland, saying "we’ve had 7000 workers (in WA) and we’ve had about seven or eight hundred Chinese engineers who are directing the work. It would probably work out something like that" in Queensland.

The coal mine development is predicted to create 6000 jobs during construction, and 1500 jobs when in operation.

To keep up to date with Australian Mining, subscribe to our free email newsletters delivered straight to your inbox. Click here.