NSW Government continues to push for Wallarah 2

Despite court rulings against the project, the NSW Government continues to push for development of the Wallarah 2 coal project.

The Darkinjung Aboriginal Land Council claimed the government had forced them into mediation with Wyong Coal, the Korean Government-owned mine developer.

The Wallarah 2 project requires Darkinjung consent to go ahead, as found in a Land and Environment court ruling in June 2014, as a portion of the proposed Central Coast mine is on Darkinjung land.

Yesterday the Department of Planning wrote that NSW Government would facilitate mediation between the Darkinjung and Wyong Coal, Newcastle Herald reported.

“The Government’s preferred position is where the parties resolve the outstanding issues between them,” DoP depty secretary Marcus Ray said in a letter

In October 2014 Darkinjung accused the government of trying to “rush through” legislation to prevent land claims on coastal land through the Crown Lands Amendment Bill 2014.

Ray denied this had been the case, amid allegations that Wyong Coal has said the government would find legislative means to get around the court decision.

In March 2014 the Darkinjung demanded $300 million for permission to use their land to run part of a rail spur, amounting to $2 per tonne for the life of the mine for a plot of land measuring 1750 metres by 40 metres.

However, on December 15 the Darkinjung signed a 60-year lease for a motor sports facility on their land, and has also applied to Wyong Shire Council to rezone for a 900 block housing development.

In November Wyong Coal hired Indigenous Advisory Council chair Warren Mundine to facilitate discussion between the company and Darkinjung, however the move was shunned due to distrust in Mundine.

To keep up to date with Australian Mining, subscribe to our free email newsletters delivered straight to your inbox. Click here.