Mining jobs grow for 13th month in a row, big gains for WA

A DFP Resources report detailing mining market statistics for June 2018 has revealed job growth in the Australian mining industry has risen for the 13th consecutive month.

In the DFP Mining and Resources Job Index for June, DFP cited growth of 0.4 per cent for the month, with the national index figure rising from 91.78 to 92.19.

The majority of roles on offer were for permanent workers at 60.4 per cent, with temporary and contract workers making up the remaining 39.6 per cent of advertisements.

Despite an overall rise in the index, with permanent vacancies up by up 0.9 per cent in June, temporary and contract roles fell by 0.3 per cent over the quarter to June.

The 39.6 per cent figure for temporary roles was down 3.5 per cent year-over-year (YoY) from June 2017 figures of 43.1 per cent, suggesting a slow shift in market preference towards permanent workers that has contributed to an annual growth of 42.1 per cent.

Broken down by states, Western Australia saw the largest growth over the quarter at 3.6 per cent with annual growth of 32 per cent, reaching an index level of 96 (its highest since May 2014), while Queensland saw the largest drop at 2.5 per cent. Despite this, the overall growth performance across all sectors still helped to push Queensland’s annual growth rate to 41.1 per cent.

Queensland’s share of advertised jobs was 1.4 per cent higher than 12 months ago at 27.7 per cent but down 2.1 per cent from its March 2018 peak of 29.8 per cent. Western Australia made up the bulk of advertised jobs in June with 47.6 per cent; New South Wales had 12.2 per cent; Victoria 5.1 per cent; South Australia 4.5 per cent; the Northern Territory 2.1 per cent; and Tasmania 0.6 per cent.

In terms of mining sectors, coal and mineral mining was a standout, up 75 per cent year-over-year (YoY) and reaching a record high of 117.58 on the index, reflective of surging market demands, though coal and minerals only made up 5.9 per cent of mining and resource vacancies in June altogether.

Metal ore mining was still by far the largest sector in terms of job opportunities, representing 44.8 per cent of vacancies, followed by oil and gas extraction at 29 per cent, although base metal and coal prices have slipped while oil prices have increased.

Overall, signs pointed to positivity for job seekers; metal ore mining jobs saw YoY growth of 40.6 per cent, engineering professional jobs 36.4 per cent, technical service and maintenance managers 42.6 per cent and operational management 18 per cent.

Production and project managers saw an index level of 61.47, its highest since November 2014, while OHS and geologist and geophysicist roles were up 51.6 and 27.1 per cent respectively in the year to date.

To keep up to date with Australian Mining, subscribe to our free email newsletters delivered straight to your inbox. Click here.