Mine workers sacked for 100 litre ice bucket challenge

Three workers have been sacked from BHP Billiton’s Mt Whaleback mine in Western Australia after using industrial equipment to enact the ice bucket challenge craze sweeping social media.

The workers were sacked on Wednesday following a week-long investigation into the incident which occurred at the end of a night shift at around 5:30 am on August 30.

The West Australian reports two Hiab cranes were used to lift a wheelie bin carrying 100 litres of water, and then pour it over a worker’s head.

The ice bucket challenge went viral on social media during July and August this year with more than 1.2 million videos shared on Facebook between June 1 and August 13.

BHP Billiton confirmed three workers had been let go following a “serious breach of our safety regulations”.

"The safety of our employees always comes first,” the company said in a statement.

It is understood an electrician, an acting supervisor and a fitter were sacked over the stunt while a fourth worker has been cautioned.

This is not the first time a social media craze has cost mine workers their jobs.

In March 2013, around 15 workers were sacked for doing the Harlem Shake dance while working underground.

The workers at the Agnew gold mine in WA were told they had breached safety regulations and undermined Barminco’s reputation.

The eight dancers, a worker who recorded the stunt as well as several onlookers were fired after the video they posted on YouTube went viral.

Two workers were fired in 2011 for planking on top of a plant’s smokestacks, 60 metres off the ground.

The discovery of photographs of the stunt at Santos in Whyalla was deemed extremely dangerous by the company and the two were sacked immediately.

Image: slate.com

To keep up to date with Australian Mining, subscribe to our free email newsletters delivered straight to your inbox. Click here.