Mine safety takes a road trip

Safe Work 2008 will run over the next four weeks to raise awareness about safety in the workplace.

Safe Work 2008 will run over the next four weeks to raise awareness about safety in the workplace.

SafeWork SA chief media advisor Peter Adams told Australian Mining that workshops will be conducted across each of the three South Australian regional districts (Northeast; Northwest; Southeast) with the last week in metropolitan Adelaide.

“Whyalla and Roxby Downs will host two of the workshops on October 15 and 16 respectively,” Adams said.

“SafeWork SA Inspector of the Mines and Major Hazards Facilities Graham Sauer will be presenting at the conference. Sauer will give a guide to principal contractor relations in the mining industry including common safety issues that arise and the solutions to address them.”

As part of his presentation, Sauer will also deliver findings from some coronial inquiries which are related to contractor and mine operations.

SafeWork SA’s chief advisor of compliance investigation Carl Asker will also be on hand to discuss changes to licensing requirements for operators of high risk plants.

The workshops are free to attend and are aimed at preventing incidents of harm at work.

“Every injury, every fatality in a workplace is preventable,” Adams said.

“Prevention is always better than cure and the key to prevention is information. The idea of Safe Work 2008 is to get as much information on preventing workplace safety accidents as we can. It is in effect a travelling safety road-show, designed to take the information to where the activity is.”

To keep up to date with Australian Mining, subscribe to our free email newsletters delivered straight to your inbox. Click here.