Lucapa recovers large 89ct diamond in Lesotho

Image: Lucapa

Lucapa Diamond Company has recovered an 89.75ct yellow diamond from the Mothae project in Lesotho, southern Africa.

The diamond was recovered during the first few days of a bulk sampling project designed to increase Mothae’s current JORC resource.

It was found in the south-east zone of an expansive area of kimberlite pipe that has undergone “very limited” historical testing, according to Lucapa managing director Stephen Wetherall.

“Having recently recovered a 25ct yellow diamond from the previously untested neck zone in our bulk sampling program, we are tremendously encouraged that this 89ct diamond was recovered from the south-east zone,” he said.

“This underlines our belief in Mothae.”

Lucapa owns a 70 per cent interest in the Mothae project, with the remaining 30 per cent being held by the Lesotho government.

The two are working on a 150 tonne-per-hour (150tph) commercial diamond plant that is scheduled for commissioning in the second half of 2018.

The Perth-based company is primarily focused on African diamond projects but also holds an 80 per cent interest in the Brooking diamond project in West Kimberley, WA.

Its flagship project is the Lulo operation in Angola, which has produced 10 diamonds of over 100ct in size and boasts the highest US dollar-per-carat production rate for alluvial diamonds in the world.

To keep up to date with Australian Mining, subscribe to our free email newsletters delivered straight to your inbox. Click here.