John M Dew, who edited Australian Mining during the 1960s, when it was called the Mining & Chemical Engineering Review, has passed away in Melbourne aged 83 years.
John had a lifetime involvement in the mining and minerals sector beginning at the Broken Hill Associated Smelters in Port Pirie, where he met his wife Pauline.
He later worked for Mary Kathleen Uranium.
After his editorship of the magazine John joined the Public Relations Department of ConZinc Riotinto (CRA) where he worked alongside the late Sir Maurice Mawby, Sir Russel Madigan and Frank Espie in the halcyon years which saw the Hamersley Iron and other major resource projects emerge.
On his retirement from CRA John was an active contributor to the Australian Institute of Mining & Metallurgy.
He maintained his interest in mining industry happenings right up to his passing on 23 July.
His one forgiveable weakness was as a supporter since 1933 of the Collingwood Football Club.
John also played and enjoyed as a spectator the noble game of cricket and collected a significant volume of cricket and other ephemera.
He was an early correspondent with Sir Donald Bradman before ‘the Don’ curtailed his volume of correspondence and signing autographs for the public.
Story provided by John Kennedy.