Hawsons iron ore project elevated to Major Project Status

Carpentaria's Ray Koenig (left) and Quentin Hill.

Carpentaria Resources has received Major Project Status for its majority-owned Hawsons iron ore project near Broken Hill in New South Wales.

Hawsons is one of 13 projects in Australia to be awarded this standing from the Australian Government.

Carpentaria expects the status will provide a “smoother and potentially faster approval process for the project.” The company also believes the designation will promote international investment in Hawsons.

The project has qualified for the status based on its benefits to regional communities in terms of jobs, strategic export value of the Hawsons Supergrade iron product to international customers, and the government’s view on its economics.

Carpentaria managing director Quentin Hill acknowledged the government’s important facilitating role in the Hawsons project and the positive signal it sent to investors and community stakeholders.

“Having already attracted a range of blue-chip international steelmakers and trading houses to our project, this designation provides further reassurance as we work to secure the necessary funding to complete the bankable feasibility study (BFS) and advance towards mining, generating vital new jobs and investment for Australia’s heritage mining city,” Hill said.

The Major Project Status means the Australian Government’s Major Project Facilitation group will provide human resources to assist with the project’s development. Hawsons will hold the status for three years up until December 2020.

Carpentaria is currently focused on advancing the BFS for Hawsons, while also negotiating offtake-linked project funding.

“Hawsons offers the world’s best iron ore product and is perfectly placed to capitalise on the growing global demand for such premium products, which can help steelmakers boost productivity and curb pollution,” Hill added.

Carpentaria owns 66.5 per cent of Hawsons, with Pure Metals holding the remaining 33.5 per cent.

To keep up to date with Australian Mining, subscribe to our free email newsletters delivered straight to your inbox. Click here.