Workers return to Glencore’s Tahmoor Colliery after prohibition notice

Miners have returned to work at Glencore’s Tahmoor Colliery after it received a prohibition notice from the NSW Resources Regulator for elevated gas levels.

The notice came after an incident on September 9 2017, where methane gas levels reached 4.04 per cent but the removal of workers was delayed as real time gas monitoring was not operational at the time, the Regulator said.

The Regulator then issued a prohibition notice preventing workers from entering the site’s underground workings, except for those doing safety related activities.

Glencore told Australian Mining it responded to the prohibition notice and it has since been lifted.

“The Resources Regulator notified us on Monday September 11 that the notice had been lifted because their directions had been met,” the company said.

“As a result, our workers returned to work on Monday’s afternoon shift.”

Glencore last year announced plans to close the Southern Highlands-based mine but later decided to continue operations – with the possibility of selling it – following the improved coal prices.

The Resources Regulator also issued a prohibition notice last week to Centennial Coal’s Mandalong Coal mine after methane gas levels reached 3.5 per cent but workers were not evacuated from the underground workings.

Under the mine’s trigger action response plan, workers are to be withdrawn from the site once methane levels reach three per cent.