Glencore donates $2m to Typhoon Haiyan recovery efforts

Mining giant Glencore is donating $US2 million to help relief efforts after Typhoon Haiyan swept through the Philippines causing mass devastation.

Glencore chief executive officer Ivan Glasenberg said Typhoon Haiyan and its aftermath has had a devastating effect on communities in the Philippines.

“We have a long standing relationship with the Philippines and its people and hope that this donation will help all those involved with the relief effort in assisting local communities to recover from this catastrophic event,” he said.

“Our thoughts are with our employees, their families and all the communities that have been impacted by the typhoon.”

The donation was made through the PASAR Foundation which is affiliated with the company’s Pasar operations in the Philippines.

Glencore owns 78.2 per cent of Pasar, the sole copper smelter and refinery in the Philippines, with the remaining 21.8 per cent owned by local investors.

Located off the coast of the Leyte Islands, the company’s Pasar operations include a port used to ship product to Asian markets, an auxiliary sulphuric acid plant and a doré plant which produces an alloy of gold and silver.

To keep up to date with Australian Mining, subscribe to our free email newsletters delivered straight to your inbox. Click here.