Forty Chinese miners are trapped in underground coal mines as China touts increased safety.
Rescuers are reportedly desperately trying to reach the miners after two separate accidents, the ABC reports.
In Guangxi Zhuang, a mine caved in and at Guizhou Province, water flooding into the Nuipeng coal mine has hampered rescue efforts.
On Monday, two miners were confirmed dead and another five missing after a coal mine in Central China flooded.
Six more miners were killed last month when a vehicle overturned underground at the Wusigedu coal mine in Northern China.
Despite these two accidents, Chinese officials say they have increased mining safety levels.
The State Administration of Coal Mine Safety (SACMS) said there had been fewer accidents and deaths since the start of this year.
“In 2011, 512 coal mine accidents have been reported, down 21.2% from last year,” Zhao Tiechui, head of SACMS said.
“The death ratio per million tonne of coal output fell to .502 in the first five months in 2011, at 807, down 39.2% over the same period last year.”
Teichui went on to say that it has recorded a 35% drop of in accidents year on year.
According to SACMS figures, only 2433 miners were killed in coal mine accidents in 2010, as opposed to 2631 deaths in 2009.
An additional eight miners died and five were injured this weekend when an iron ore mine collapsed in the south eastern province of Fujian.