Exposed terminals electrocute

THE Queensland Mines Inspectorate has issued a safety bulletin after an electrician was electrocuted from contact with exposed 240 volt to earth cable terminals on the back of a voltmeter.

The Queensland Mines Inspectorate has issued a safety bulletin after an electrician was electrocuted from contact with exposed 240 volt to earth cable terminals on the back of a voltmeter.

The Inspectorate said while fuses at the rear of the incoming circuit breaker enclosure protected the voltmeter, the terminals on the voltmeter were not shrouded.

“The area of a motor control centre near the incoming cables and circuit breaker was high risk to electricians working in the enclosure,” the Mines Inspectorate said.

“Often the hazards of live equipment, e.g. voltmeters and busbars, exist when the main incoming circuit breaker is open.

“This area of a motor control centre, i.e. from the low voltage cable terminations of the transformer to the line side terminations on the incoming circuit breaker, is a high arc flash energy area.”

The Mines Inspectorate issued several recommendations on controls necessary to prevent similar incidents.

Key contact:

Peter Herbert

Inspector of Mines

07 4967 0863

Peter.Herbert@dme.qld.gov.au

To keep up to date with Australian Mining, subscribe to our free email newsletters delivered straight to your inbox. Click here.