Operations at Glencore’s CSA copper mine remain suspended as an investigation into the death of a 26-year-old worker continues.
The man died after becoming trapped in a pipe while working 1400 metres underground at the mine near Cobar in New South Wales on Wednesday night.
A police, mine and Work Cover investigation is underway, with reports the man was sucked into the pipe and unable to be revived upon his rescue.
CSA said the man was a full-time construction crew operator who had worked at the site for over two years.
“We offer our deepest sympathies to the man’s partner, family and friends during this difficult time,” CSA chief executive Deon Van Der Mescht said.
Cobar Mayor, Lilliane Brady, said the town had lost someone very special, ABC reported.
"He was a lovely young man, lived in Cobar for about two and a half years, had a girlfriend here, a lovely young man,” she said.
“People in Cobar, they really feel a mine accident.
"It is a tragic time for us all."
NSW Resources and Energy Minister Anthony Roberts also extended his condolences.
"Prayers to the man's family, friends, co-workers and the wider Cobar community during this difficult time," he said.
Counselling is being offered to all employees at the site.
It is the fourth death in the NSW mining industry this year.
Last month, a man died after he was hit in the head by machinery at the Boggabri coalmine in northwestern NSW.
In April, Jamie Mitchell, 49, and Phillip Grant, 35, died after a wall collapsed 500m below ground at the Austar coalmine in Paxton.