Fire has destroyed a coal conveyor belt at BlueScope’s Port Kembla Steelworks.
The fire started at 3am on Saturday morning when friction caused the conveyor belt to snap.
NSW Fire and Rescue Inspector Jay Bland said the snapped belt produced more heat, causing the fire to spread.
Around 30 NSWFR officers attended the blaze, as well as a HAZMAT crew and a cherry picker.
Bland said the main concern was the potential for dust on the 50-metre high conveyor belt to explode, Illawarra Mercury reported.
He said the fire was brought under control in an hour and commended the professionalism of BlueScope staff.
Staff were evacuated but no one was injured a result of the fire.