Century mine revival now 95% complete

New Century Resources’ restart of operations at the Century zinc mine is on budget, on schedule and now around 95 per cent complete.

The mine, 250km from Mt Isa, is forecast to be one of the top 10 zinc-producing mines in the world once it reaches full capacity. It originally began production in 1999 and was closed by previous owner MMG in 2016.

New Century-led works on the mine have employed up to 290 staff and contractors for refurbishment and commissioning purposes in June alone.

The company purchased the mine outright last year when it increased its ownership from 70 per cent to 100 per cent by making an offer to purchase the remaining 30 per cent from Century Bull, a privately owned mine rehabilitation company.

Key developments at the Century project in June included the completion of high-voltage electrical, civils and earth works, including tailings sump excavation and slurry pipe line; hydrostatic testing and water commissioning; an agreement with Mica Creek power station for gas turbine supply; and reinstatement of diesel power ahead of schedule for dredging and commissioning.

First buyers were secured for the mine in February 2018 when Mercuria Energy Trading and Transamine Trading SA made an offtake agreement for around 750,000t.

The processing plant is now operational and hiring of the maintenance crew has been completed, with first production is on track to commence in August 2018.

To keep up to date with Australian Mining, subscribe to our free email newsletters delivered straight to your inbox. Click here.