A “positive” announcement tomorrow from Bathurst Resources will not be its intentions to bid on the embattled Pike River Coal mine.
The Australian mining company is in a trading halt on the New Zealand and Australian exchanges and managing director Hamish Bohannan told TVNZ the came ahead of news that was “all positive.”
"Something will come out of the woodwork, possibly tomorrow morning," he said while in New Zealand.
However, he has denied any intentions to submit interest in the assets of Pike River, which are due with receiver John Fisk by this Friday.
“We have no interest in Pike," said Bohannan. "We’re open-cast miners."
There has been suggestion mining could continue at Pike River if the underground coal mine became open cut, a move that Greymouth Mayor Tony Kokshoorn said would be “win-win”.
Solid Energy is the most prominent company to express its interest in Pike River, and says it is the only company with enough mining experience on the West Coast to make the mine financially viable again.
It also said it would continue efforts to recover the bodies of the 29 men killed in the mine on November 19, after families expressed concerns that receivers were more concerned with a sale than recovery.
Their desperation to retrieve the bodies of the men were increased when footage last week revealed a fully-clothed body inside the mine and an open fore box, which could indicate the workers were not all killed in the initial explosion, as previously determined.
Fisk said there would be "an update of some sort" on the sale of the mine at the end of the week.