AVZ returns strong results from Manono lithium project

Photo: AVZ Minerals.

Assays from AVZ Minerals’ Manono lithium project in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) have returned results as high as 1.52 per cent lithium oxide at 284.47m. About 50 per cent of planned drilling at the 20,000m project has now been completed.

AVZ owns 60 per cent of the project, with the remaining 40 per cent currently split between state-owned La Congolaise D’exploitation Miniere SA (30 per cent), and Dathomir Mining Resources (10 per cent).

In March, AVZ announced that it was courting Chinese battery major Tinci, for potential investment and offtake at the site.

AVZ plans to continue drilling in June to maximise the project’s JORC potential; in late June, finalised drilling results will be sent to independent company MSA Resource Consultants for a resource calculation to be completed in July.

AVZ’s drilling intersects the Roche Dure pegmatite at various points, one of two large spodumene pegmatites at the Manono project that is of similar size to the Greenbushes pegmatite in Western Australia. Roche Dure has a proven length of at least 2100m with a strike length over 13km.

Drilling highlights included the above mentioned 1.52 per cent lithium oxide at 284.47m, 1.56 per cent at 272.65m. One water-bore drill hole missed water but hit the pegmatite, intersecting 71.8m at 1.25 per cent lithium oxide and was terminated at 149.5m.

Commenting, AVZ executive chairman Klaus Eckhof said that the latest assay results confirmed Roche Dure’s consistency, which “continues to be defined through diamond drilling with excellent recoveries”.

To keep up to date with Australian Mining, subscribe to our free email newsletters delivered straight to your inbox. Click here.