All seven Macmahon workers, including three Australians, kidnapped last week in Nigeria have been released.
Five of the men were injured, two of them seriously, with all receiving medical assistance.
A convoy of vehicles was attacked by a group of up to 30 militants near Calabar Wednesday last week, with the driver of one vehicle killed and seven workers abducted.
One Australian was able to escape the ambush, hiding under a vehicle.
Jimoh Ozi-Obeh, commissioner of police in Nigeria’s Cross River state said no ransom was paid for their release, in a report by the ABC.
Macmahon CEO Sy van Dyk commended the workers for their courage during their ordeal.
“While we are relieved to be able to reunite the seven men with their loved ones, we are deeply saddened by the loss of the local driver Matthew Odok, who was fatally injured during the initial incident,” van Dyk said.
“Our men have been through a traumatic experience, and we have mobilised medical and other support teams in Nigeria to provide immediate support,” he said, adding that their families have been informed of their release and have been able to speak with them.
He went on to say, “Our team has worked around the clock in locations around the world to bring them home and I am proud of the dedicated and professional work they have done.”
He praised the efforts of both the Nigerian authorities and authorities from New Zealand, Australia, and South Africa since the men’s abduction.
“This has been an incredible team effort and our highest priority now is to finish the job by continuing to work together to get our people back safely to their families and homes.”
Macmahon entered a trading halt when news of the kidnapping broke.