- Atlas Iron
- Bowen Basin
- coal mining
- coking coal
- Gascoyne Resources
- Ian Macfarlane
- mining jobs
- Mt Isa Mines
- Newcrest Mining
- NRW Holdings
- oil and gas
- Port Hedland
- renewable energy
- Rio Tinto
- Western Australia
- Rio Tinto launches Far North Queensland recruitment drive
Rio Tinto is seeking more than 100 workers for a variety of roles at its bauxite operations in North Queensland.
- Gascoyne purchases historical gold tenement north of Dalgaranga
Gascoyne Resources has purchased a new tenement immediately north of its $86 million Dalgaranga gold project called the Greencock gold prospect.
- Total, Santos secure farm-in agreement with Melbana
French oil and gas major Total and Australia’s Santos have executed a seismic funding and farm-in agreement with Melbana Energy at the WA-488-P licence offshore northern Australia.
- Kirkland Lake offloads Stawell gold mine to Australian equity fund
Canadian miner Kirkland Lake Gold has agreed to sell the Stawell gold mine in Victoria to Melbourne-based equity fund, Arete Capital Partners.
- BBI Group’s Pilbara iron ore railway ratified in parliament
Balla Balla Infrastructure Group (BBIG) has made significant progress with its Western Australia iron ore railway project, having received royal assent to become ratified as a WA act of parliament.
- WA environmental watchdog backs BHP iron ore expansion
BHP’s plan to develop the South Flank iron ore project in the Pilbara has been recommended by the state’s Environmental Protection Authority (EPA).
- Northern Star spends $23.2m on Echo stake
Gold miner Northern Star Resources has invested $23.2 million in Echo Resources to take a 16.4 per cent stake in the exploration company.
- Barrick to fund Alicanto 2018 exploration plans
Barrick Gold has chosen to continue funding exploration at Alicanto Minerals’ Arakaka gold project in Guyana, South America, moving the contract between the companies into its third year.
- OZ Minerals awards $312m EPC contract at Carrapateena to Downer, Ausenco
Joint venture partners Downer EDI and Ausenco have been awarded a $312 million contract at OZ Minerals’ Carrapateena copper-gold project in South Australia.
- Artemis Resources gets $6 million in funding for Radio Hill restart
Artemis Resources has secured $6 million in funding for the refurbishment of its 100 per cent-owned Radio Hill copper-nickel-cobalt plant, which is arranged to restart operations in the second quarter of 2018.
- Bougainville landowners to write 2000 signature petition over Panguna mine
Landowners in Bougainville, an autonomous region of Papua New Guinea, have expressed backing for an RTG Mining-led consortium to take over the abandoned Panguna mine instead of Bougainville Copper (BCL).
- Welding fume: now classified as carcinogenic to humans
In early 2017, welding fume was reclassified by the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) classification Group 2B (possibly carcinogenic to humans) to Group 1 (Carcinogenic to humans). This change was primarily associated with the effects of UV exposure on the skin and eyes, for lung cancers and limited evidence for kidney cancer from … Continue reading Welding fume: now classified as carcinogenic to humans
- Rugged in-vehicle computers: the answer to industry challenges
Many companies are upgrading to fleet management systems, which are wirelessly linked to computers on board their vehicles, giving them visibility into the minute-by-minute status of equipment and vehicles. This whitepaper explains how onboard computers can present operators with the information and alerts they need to get their job done safely and efficiently. To download … Continue reading Rugged in-vehicle computers: the answer to industry challenges
- Resources industry recovery to gather momentum in 2018: analysts
According to the latest BIS Oxford Economics report, mining exploration, production and maintenance are all expected to lift significantly through 2018.
- Locals launch legal action against PNG Gov’t over Nautilus deep sea project
Nautilus Minerals’ long-in-development Solwara 1 deep sea mining project, located in offshore Papua New Guinea, has fond itself the topic of local legal action against the PNG Government.
- Queensland exploration grants to boost north-west activity
The Queensland Government has awarded $1.13 million of exploration grants, helping nine companies find new deposits of copper, gold and base metals in the state’s north west.
- Kin to mine Leonora project
Gold developer Kin Mining has officially decided to mine its Leonora project in Western Australia.
- A sea change for mining
Deep-sea mining has a storied history; people have been attempting to tap the mineral potential of the Earth’s oceans for decades, with mixed results. As far back as the 1960s, interested parties have explored the concept with research vessels; the discovery of hydrothermal vents, which spew mineral-rich deposits from fissures in the earth’s surface.
- Glencore seeks 200 workers for North Queensland projects
Glencore is to fill over 200 jobs for various copper and zinc operations in North Queensland, including operations in or near major mining towns such as Mount Isa, Cloncurry and Townsville.
- Tropicana JV to boost production, extend mine life with $46m expansion
Joint venture partners AngloGold Ashanti and Independence Group have unveiled a $46 million plan to lift production and extend the life of the Tropicana gold mine in Western Australia.