- battery metals
- Dacian Gold
- electric vehicles
- Fortescue Metals Group
- Fraser Range
- Gold Fields
- Gold Road Resources
- metallurgical coal
- Mineral Resources
- Mount Isa
- Newcrest Mining
- renewable energy
- Rio Tinto
- Stanmore Coal
- Sulphate of potash
- thermal coal
- Top News
- Gold Fields to create digitally connected mine with ABB
ABB has partnered with the Enterprise Transformation Partners (ETP) and the University of Western Australia (UWA) to digitalise Gold Fields Australia’s Granny Smith mine in Western Australia.
- Rio Tinto to complete $75m refinery maintenance
Rio Tinto has pushed ahead with $75 million of planned maintenance shutdown work at its two alumina refineries in Gladstone, Queensland, this year.
- Altura shipments exceed output amid challenges
Altura Mining has ramped up operations at the Altura lithium project in Western Australia as workers returned to pre-COVID-19 rosters.
- Fortescue to power Pilbara project with Rolls-Royce engines
Fortescue Metals Group is set to receive 15 Rolls-Royce gas gensets that will power the Iron Bridge magnetite project in Western Australia.
- Gruyere JV cuts gold production guidance
Joint venture (JV) partners Gold Road Resources and Gold Fields have experienced an interruption to its production at the Gruyere gold mine in Western Australia.
- Mining at high risk of cyber security threats
A new survey has found that many Australian mining businesses are unprepared for and are failing to put appropriate measures in place to prevent cyber security attacks.
- Alcoa unveils industry-first low-carbon alumina
Alcoa has expanded its alumina offering to produce the industry’s first low-carbon, smelter-grade brand, EcoSource.
- Australian Potash eyes renewable power for Lake Wells
Australian Potash is set to deliver the country’s lowest carbon emitting potash project at its Lake Wells operation in Western Australia.
- Rio Tinto to cater to Chinese portside customers
Rio Tinto has inked an agreement to develop blending operations within the Port of Dalian in China as it moves to expand its offering to customers across Asia.
- BHP backs Encounter’s NT copper hunt
Junior explorer Encounter Resources has received endorsement for its Elliott copper project in the Northern Territory from mining giant BHP, with the two companies forming a joint venture.
- Glencore gives QLD copper assets $500m life extension
Glencore has been awarded a financial lifeline by the Queensland Government to extend the operation of its Mount Isa copper smelter and Townsville refinery beyond 2022.
- Follow the leaders: This week’s executive movements
Keep up with the latest executive movements across the mining sector, including at Caterpillar, Newcrest Mining, Stanmore Coal and more.
- Novo acquires stake in Kalamazoo gold project
Novo Resources has locked in an initial 50 per cent interest in Kalamazoo Resources’ Queens gold project in Victoria.
- Tesla to mine own battery metals
Tesla has revealed at its Tesla Battery Day that the company is planning to break into the battery metals mining business.
- Australian Vanadium expands Coates project tenements
Australian Vanadium has been awarded two exploration licenses at the Coates project near Wundowie in Western Australia.
- IGO on path to mine electrification
IGO has collaborated with Barminco to complete a pilot of a battery electric light vehicle (BELV) at its Nova operation in Western Australia.
- Silver Lake’s future secured with Deflector approval
Silver Lake Resources continues to develop the Deflector South West corridor for its Deflector gold-copper project in Western Australia as part of a plan to extend the mine’s life.
- Chalice expands Julimar potential
Chalice Gold Mines has reported positive metallurgical results from recent test work at the Gonneville discovery within its Julimar nickel-copper-PGE project in Western Australia.
- Carawine completes Tropicana North acquisitions
Carawine Resources has acquired two exploration licences at the Tropicana North gold project in Western Australia.
- Yancoal streamlines operations amid pandemic
Yancoal is closely monitoring the condition of international coal markets to best assess how its business will be impacted for the remainder of 2020 and beyond.