- A sea change for mining
Deep-sea mining has a storied history; people have been attempting to tap the mineral potential of the Earth’s oceans for decades, with mixed results. As far back as the 1960s, interested parties have explored the concept with research vessels; the discovery of hydrothermal vents, which spew mineral-rich deposits from fissures in the earth’s surface.
- Diversity dominates workforce management trends
Deloitte’s Nicki Ivory discusses how human resources strategies have evolved over the past year to improve diversity and inclusiveness.
- The National Group expands into a turnkey service provider
The National Group is set to realise operational synergies through the addition of heavy equipment valuation and auction house, National Machinery Xchange, into the group.
- Onetrak celebrates new product launch amid re-opening in WA
Ken MacDonald, owner and chief executive officer of Canadian forestry equipment manufacturer, Tigercat, and the team of Australian crushing and screening manufacturer Striker, have joined Onetrak staff and customers in celebrating the re-opening of Onetrak in Western Australia.
- Schneider Electric’s four pillars of a digital transformation
Schneider Electric is a leading player driving digitisation in the mining industry. So, what should mining companies focus on in their digital pursuit?
- Gold exploration prospects rise
Prospects for gold explorers in Western Australia are stronger than they have been in a while. Exploration was the biggest casualty of the commodities downturn and the gold industry was not spared from the carnage that resulted.
- Staying on top of big data
How to effectively manage big data can be baffling for mining companies. An explosion of new technologies is being offered to the industry, giving mining companies the opportunity to analyse operations and equipment like they never have before.
- BELAZ targets Australian market for global growth
Machinery manufacturer BELAZ believes the time is right for the company to make an impact in Australia with its mining equipment.
- YUMARR has a finger on the pulse
YUMARR Automation heads Nicky Guenther and Holger Salow discuss the growing demand for better and safer automation solutions in heavy industry.
- Prospect Awards review: Morris delivers a step up for Indigenous workers
Morris Corporation has always stood out in the world of hospitality and facilities management, having established itself in the six decades since its inception as Australia’s largest privately-owned company in the sector.
- Prospect Awards review: Myuna Colliery’s strata-spheric comeback
Myuna Colliery was facing closure until Centennial Coal stepped in with its Myuna Herringbone system.
- Prospect Awards review: Grange upgrades Savage River mill to drive efficiencies
Grange Resources has successfully reduced costs and boosted the efficiency of its Savage River iron ore operation in Tasmania through a mill upgrade project.
- Prospect Awards review: YUMARR Automation improves underground safety
Bolstering the frontline of an underground mine is a critical part of every operation. The risk of inadvertent contact with moving booms and entanglement in rotating drill steels continues to be an industry-wide problem for people working underground with drill rigs.
- Prospect Awards review: Collaborative contractor BGC wins second straight award
BGC Contracting stands out in Australia’s mining services environment with a focused strategy that is benefitting miners around the country.
- Prospect Awards review: Carob fuel solution secures environmental award for Columbus Group
Columbus Group won the Metso Excellence in Environmental Management at the 2017 Prospect Awards in Sydney for its research into carob fuel.
- Magnets and drill swarms: ways to mine an asteroid
Planetary Resources, one of the premier researchers of commercial deep space exploration, has highlighted potential methods to mine asteroids in future.
- Prospect Awards review: Rinehart ramps up contribution to mining at Roy Hill
The success of the Roy Hill iron ore operations highlights a long list of achievements in mining for Hancock Prospecting chair Gina Rinehart.
- Prospect Awards review: Gwalia gold mine grows old gracefully
The historic Gwalia gold mine in Western Australia is set for the next stage in its 120-year life after St Barbara launched an extension project at the site this year.
- Prospect Awards review: Moranbah North scoops top Australian mine honours
A focused approach to improving the overall performance of Anglo American’s Moranbah North coal mine has proven rewarding for the major mining company.
- No teething troubles at Wiluna Gold
SEW-Eurodrive has efficiently upgraded the girth gear at Blackham Resources’ Wiluna gold mine in Western Australia, saving the miner a significant amount of lost production.