News, Uranium

Boss begins production at new uranium mine

lotus resources

Boss Energy’s Alta Mesa uranium project in Texas is now up and running in a milestone hit just eight weeks after production started at the Honeymoon uranium mine in South Australia.

Production at Alta Mesa is forecasted to ramp up to a rate of 1.5 million pounds (Mlb) a year. Boss Energy owns 30 per cent of the project, with enCore Energy Corp retaining the remaining 70 per cent.

“The start of production at the Alta Mesa project is another key milestone in the implementation of our strategy to be a global uranium supplier with a diversified production base in Tier 1 locations,” Boss managing director Duncan Craib said.

“With operations now ramping up at both Honeymoon and Alta Mesa, we are on track to hit our combined nameplate production target of 3Mlb of uranium per annum.”

Boss produced its first uranium drum from Honeymoon in late April. The achievement was part of the company’s commissioning process at Honeymoon, which will see production ramp up to 2.45Mlb of triuranium octoxide a year.

“Our timing could hardly be better given the increasingly tight supply and demand fundamentals in the uranium market,” Craib said.

“This highly favourable outlook was underpinned by US President Joe Biden’s recent signing of legislation to ban the importation of uranium products from Russia.

“Given that we are ramping up production in both locations and we have strong growth prospects at each one, Boss is very well positioned to continue capitalising on this huge opportunity.”

Subscribe to Australian Mining and receive the latest news on product announcements, industry developments, commodities and more.

Send this to a friend