BHP hands out civil construction contract in Pilbara


BHP has awarded a contract to Central Systems to undertake civil construction works at the Mount Newman mine in Western Australia.

The agreement is the second contract that BHP has awarded the Resource Development subsidiary recently. The contractor has also won work with Fortescue Metals Group in the Pilbara.

Central Systems’ scope of services for the latest BHP contract includes plant upgrades and shutdowns, brownfield construction, camp expansion, refurbishments, and road and rail infrastructure.

Though the value of both contracts is undisclosed, Resource Development revealed they are worth a combined $14 million, including the smaller agreement with Fortescue.

Mount Newman is one of BHP’s four main Western Australia Iron Ore (WAIO) joint ventures, in which it holds an 85 per cent interest with Mitsui and Itochu owning the remaining 15 per cent.

The Mount Newman JV processes ore that is transported by rail from WAIO’s existing mineral leases at Wheelarra and Posmac.

BHP has been busy handing out contracts at its Pilbara iron ore sites, including at the Yandi and South Flank projects.

Send this to a friend